Social & Family Services

Energy Assistance Program (EAP)

The Bad River Energy Assistance Program is available to help low- and moderate-income households with heating and electric expenses.  Energy Assistance is a one-time benefit payment for each heating season beginning October 1 and ending May 15.

The benefit is intended to help pay a portion of the heating costs and is not intended to cover the entire annual cost of the home heating bill.  The amount of the heating assistance benefit depends on the household size, income level and household heating costs. 

If you are eligible for heating assistance, you may also qualify for crisis assistance and the furnace repair or replacement program.  Please call 715-682-7127 during regular business hours Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 pm to schedule an appointment.  

What to bring:

  • PHOTO ID (mandatory for first-time applicants)
  • SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS AND DATES OF BIRTH for everyone in the household.
    • Customers with heat included must provide landlord’s contact information and the current lease or a letter from the landlord.
    • Rent Assistance recipients must provide proof of rent, amount of rent assistance and utility allowance.
    • Gross income for the 3 months prior to the application month is usually required. This includes wages, SSA benefits, pension, unemployment benefits etc.
    • Self-generated or seasonal income requires tax documents from the most recent filing year. Examples: Landscaping, snowplowing, school bus drivers, Uber/Lyft drivers, rental property. Includes Partnerships, LLCs and corporations. If you cannot provide valid taxes, gross income will be counted.
    • Recurring payments (ex. interest, dividends or royalties) must be verified with tax documents or statements.

If you have a no-heat/furnace emergency after hours or on weekends and do not reside in Bad River Tribal Housing, please call 715-682-7023

Click Here for information on the 2019-2020 EAP Season
Click here for information on the EAP Program
For additional Information on the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program Click Here

The Bad River Energy Assistance Program is administered by the State of Wisconsin Department of Administration.